The Park Slope Civic Council’s Sustainability Committee advocates for responsible use and conservation of natural resources in our community, and promotes practices which have a beneficial effect on the environment. To help achieve those goals, we’ve assembled a thorough list of where and how to recycle various items in our community.
Place appliances next to recycling bins on recycling day. An exception: Call 311 if appliances require CFC removal.
- 6/15 Community Garden, Sixth Avenue at 15th Street. See the garden’s website for instructions and specific dates: www.615green.org.
- GrowNYC Site at the Grand Army Plaza GreenMarket, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Alkaline batteries may be discarded in regular trash. For other types of batteries:
- GrowNYC Site at the Grand Army Plaza GreenMarket, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. — rechargeable only
- Lower East Side Ecology Center E-Waste Warehouse, 469 President St. at Nevins Street, 718.858.8777 (call for hours) — rechargeable, lithium, button
- J.&R. Television, 108 Seventh Ave. between President and Union Streets (small amounts) — rechargeable, lithium, button
Bicycles and Bicycle Parts
Building Materials, Salvaged and/or Surplus
Build It Green, NYC’s only non-profit retail outlet for salvaged and surplus building materials: www.bignyc.org
CFL Light Bulbs (contain mercury)
- Home Depot, 550 Hamilton Ave.
- Lowe’s, 118 Second Ave.
- Ikea, 1 Beard St., Red Hook
See recycleabulb.veoliaes.com/home for additional information.
Mulchfest, co-sponsored by the Prospect Park Alliance and Park Slope Civic Council, takes place Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 12 and 13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at two entrances to the park: Third Street and Prospect Park West, and Park Circle at Prospect Park Southwest and Parkside Avenues.
GrowNYC site at the Grand Army Plaza GreenMarket, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Cell Phones for Soldiers, www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com
- GrowNYC Site at the Grand Army Plaza Greenmarket, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- GrowNYC Composting at the Grand Army Plaza GreenMarket, Saturdays, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- 6/15 Community Garden, Sixth Avenue at 15th Street, www.615green.org
- Garden of Union, Union Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues, www.thegardenofunion.com
- Lower East Side Ecology Center E-Waste Warehouse, 469 President St. at Nevins Street, 718.858.8777 (call for hours)
- For additional information, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/66872.html
Includes household and automotive batteries, fluorescent bulbs, mercury thermometers and thermostats, motor oil, transmission fluid, pesticides, paints: see www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/html/home/home.shtml for household special waste dropoff sites and special NYC safe disposal events.
- Visit www.DMAchoice.org to remove your name from mailing lists and avoid unwanted mail, catalogs, credit card offers.
- Also head to the NYCWasteLess site for all recycling information as well as ways to avoid unwanted mail
- Key Food, 130 Seventh Ave. at Carroll Street
- Key Food, 369 Flatbush Ave. between Park and Sterling Places
- Barnes & Noble, 267 Seventh Ave. at Sixth Street
- Rite Aid, 249 Seventh Ave. at Fifth Street
- CVS, 341 9th St. between Fifth and Sixth Avenues
- C-Town Supermarket, 327 9th St. between Fifth and Sixth Avenues
Park Slope Food Coop, www.foodcoop.com
JackRabbit, 151 Seventh Ave. between Carroll Street and Garfield Place
About the Sustainability Committee
The Sustainability Committee organizes the twice-yearly Civic Sweeps, our clean-up, beautification and recycling events; co-hosts Mulchfest, the Christmas tree recycling event, with the Prospect Park Alliance; partnered with the kids of P.S. 321 to create signs for trees that are cared for by local shopkeepers; and continues to look for shopkeepers willing to care for the trees in front of their shops. We also offer ideas for environmentally friendly holidays on the Civic Council website, and raise funds to help plant the annual Arbor Day Tree in Prospect Park.
We are currently exploring the possibility of bringing back a former Civic Council event – Clean Walk to School – in which kids pick up litter on their way to school.
Visit our page on this website for more information and updates.