Brighten the holidays for a needy child by donating a toy or book to the Park Slope Civic Council’s 18th Annual Toys for Tots drive. All through the holiday season, the Civic Council collects new and gently used unwrapped gifts for children ages 12 and under at locations throughout the Slope. All toys collected are given to local organizations that work with families in need.
The Civic Council has been organizing this drive for nearly two decades, and each year Park Slope’s generosity has outshone the last. The 2011 program resulted in a record-breaking 1,600 toys, far more than any year past. Our goal for this year’s drive is to match or even exceed that total, spreading more joy and community spirit.
Toys and books will be collected starting on Thanksgiving, Thurs., Nov. 22, all the way through Little Christmas, Sun., Jan. 6. You can leave your gifts at:
- Assemblywoman Joan Millman’s Office (341 Smith St. at Carroll Street)
- Assemblymember James Brennan’s Office (416 Seventh Ave. between 12th and 13th Streets)
- Astoria Federal Savings (110 Seventh Ave. at Carroll Street, and 459 Fifth Ave. at 10th Street)
- Back to the Land Natural Foods (142 Seventh Avenue between Carroll Street and Garfield Place)
- The Church of St. Saviour (611 Eighth Ave. at Sixth Street)
- Citibank (114 Seventh Avenue at President Street)
- The Community Book Store (143 Seventh Ave. between Carroll Street and Garfield Place)
- Councilmember Brad Lander’s Office (456 Fifth Ave. between Ninth and Tenth Streets)
- Evan Breth Progressive Podiatry (702 Eighth Ave. on Seventh Street) (new)
- Goldy+Mac (two locations: 396 Seventh Ave. between 12th and 13th Streets; 219 Fifth Ave, between President and Union Streets) (new)
- Greenwood Baptist Church (461 Sixth St. at Seventh Avenue)
- Has Been Internet Cafe (620 Fifth Ave. between 17th And 18th Streets) (new)
- Holy Name Church (245 Prospect Park West at 17th Street)
- Little Things Toy Store (145 Seventh Ave. between Carroll Street and Garfield Place)
- Little Things Too (139 Seventh Ave. between Carroll Street and Garfield Place) (new)
- New Millennium Real Estate (443 Fourth St. between Sixth and Seventh Avenues)
- North Flatbush Business Improvement District (282 Flatbush Ave. at Prospect Place)
- Orrichio Anderson Realty (302 Seventh Ave. between Seventh and Eighth Streets)
- P.S. 39 (417 Sixth Ave. at Eighth Street)
- Prospect Park YMCA (357 Ninth St. between Fifth and Sixth Avenues)
- Saint Francis Xavier Church (225 Sixth Ave. at Carroll Street)
- Scottadito Restaurant (788A Union St. between Sixth and Seventh Avenues)
- South Slope Pediatric (501 Fifth Ave. between 12th and 13th Streets) (new)
- Tabeel (76 Fifth Ave. between St. Marks Place and Warren Street) (new)
- YMCA Armory (15th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues) (new)
- Additional collection points still to come.
Toys will also be collected at this year’s Jingle Bell Jamboree, at Congregation Beth Elohim (Eighth Avenue at Garfield Place) on Saturday, Dec. 14, 5 p.m.