Make a clean sweep of our neighborhood by joining the Sustainability Committee of the Park Slope Civic Council at its annual spring beautification, recycling and clean-up event – the Spring Civic Sweep on Saturday, April 16, 2016, from 10 am to 2 pm (rain or shine).
Put on your old clothes and come to one of two locations:
• 5th Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets
• Brooklyn Colony at 4th Avenue and Garfield Place
At the 5th Avenue location:
Join other volunteers in picking up litter on sidewalks, participating in the care of street trees as well as painting out graffiti, supervised by adults.
• Learn about Rainwater Harvesting from the Gowanus Canal Conservancy and GrowNYC. The Gowanus Canal Conservancy is a community-based non-profit organization that serves as the environmental steward for the Gowanus Canal Watershed, with the goals of creating parkland along the shoreline, ensuring that the water, soil and air are healthy and fostering ecological, business and cultural activity in the watershed. GrowNYC is the sustainability resource for NYC through its network of farmers markets, waste reduction efforts, support of community and school gardens and promotion of environmental stewardship.
• Learn about the NYC Compost Project hosted by Brooklyn Botanic Garden, which helps to reduce waste and rebuild city soils by giving New Yorkers the knowledge, skills and opportunities to produce and use compost.
• Bring your unwanted Electronics for Recycling by the Lower East Side Ecology Center: working & non-working computers, monitors, printers, scanners, keyboards, mice, cables, TV’s, VCR’s, CD & DVD players, phones, audio/visual equipment, cell phones & PDA’s.
• Sample Free Purity Organic Teas and Juices. Purity Organic partners with organic farmers to produce a variety of delicious Juices, Teas, Coconut Water and Superjuices made with certified organic ingredients.
We’ll provide all tools and supplies. Volunteers will leave wearing “I Made Park Slope Cleaner Today” stickers. Community Service vouchers will be available.
At the 4th Avenue location:
• Learn about ways to keep 4th Avenue green.
• Get tree bed maintenance instructions.
• Adopt a tree along 4th Avenue.
• Find out about getting compost at Gowanus Canal Conservancy.
• Discover what Forth on Fourth Avenue (FOFA), a committee of the Park Slope Civic Council, has done to make 4th Avenue a safer, greener and more attractive boulevard as it passes through Park Slope.
We are extremely grateful to our sponsors for their generous support:
MediaSponsors: Park Slope Parents and Park Slope Neighbors
Park Slope Copy Center
Park Slope Food Coop
1 800 Mr. Rubbish
See you there!